Principal: Jon Thompson
Assistant Principal: Jeff Dionne
Student Program Support Administrator: Dr. Shana Goldwyn
Guidance Counselor: Christine Nogueira
Guidance Counselor: Cathleen Walker
Phone: (978) 348-2300 Fax: (978)345-3292
South Street Elementary School believes in establishing a school community that promotes high social and academic goals. Every student will show growth in all curriculum areas as they move towards proficiency and above in a caring and safe school environment.
The Principal's Corner
As summer slowly fades away and fall is just around the corner, it is time for another school year. I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome you and your child(ren) to a new year at South Street Elementary School. For some, this might be your first child entering school and for others, you may have been through this before.
· South Street Elementary School has several new teachers. Below are the new grade level teams and departments:
Preschool- Mrs. Young and Mrs. Douglas
Kindergarten-Ms. Howe, Miss Young, Mrs. Guerard, Ms. Clark and Mrs. Crowley
First Grade- Ms. Smith, Mrs. Goodlett, Mrs. Morrison, Mrs. Brandwein and Mrs. Chapdelaine
Second Grade- Mr. Espie, Mrs. Foresman, Mrs. Laprade, Miss Richardson and Mrs. Gendron
Third Grade- Mrs. Colonis, Mrs. Gallant, Mrs. Nadeau, Mrs. Ann Marie Young and Ms. Curran
Fourth Grade-Mrs. L’Ecuyer, Mrs. Pennell, Ms. Robarge, Mrs. Bourque and Ms. Kozloski
Pathways- Ms. Harrington, Mrs. Regan, and Miss Francoeur
Special Education-Miss Capone, Mrs. Cefole, Ms. Clancy-Brough, Mrs. Masciarelli , Mr. Irwin, Mrs. Craven and Mrs. Therrien
ESL Teachers-Mrs. Matern, Mrs. Hooper and Mrs. Cooper
Title I: Mrs. Sawyer, Mrs. Mikaelian and Mrs. Buchanan
Specialists: Mr. Beaulac-Physical Education, Mrs. Rivers-Art, Mrs. Crotty-Health, Miss Kazanjian-Music, Mrs. Scaficchia-Library/Computer
· South Street Elementary School also has several new staff members: Mr. Jeff Dionne-Assistant Principal, Ms. Jenna Smith-First Grade Teacher, Mrs. Rebecca Goodlett-First Grade Teacher, Ms. Barbara Dobson-Fourth Grade Teacher, Mrs. Nicole Cooper-ESL Teacher, Miss Richardson-Second Grade Teacher, and Miss Capone-Special Education Teacher. Mrs. Laprade and Mrs. Foresman have moved from First Grade to Second Grade. Mrs. Pennell has moved from Second Grade to Fourth Grade. Mrs. Morrison has moved from Special Education to First Grade. Mrs. Hooper has moved from Second Grade to ESL Teacher.
· If you plan on volunteering at South Street you will need to fill out a CORI form. Please remember to bring it into the office along with your driver’s license or a picture ID so that we may verify information.
· We are in need of two parent representatives as well as one community member to serve on the South Street Elementary School Council. The school council is comprised of the principal, teachers, parents and community members. We meet on a monthly basis to discuss school issues, as well as develop a School Improvement Plan. If you are interested in serving on the School Council please put your request in writing to me directly.
· A few reminders: The free breakfast program starts at 8:15. Students can be dropped off out back of South Street School at parent drop off.
· If you need to change your child’s transportation for the end of the day parents/guardians must write a note and send it to school with your child on the morning that the change is to occur. Also, the office will only accept phone calls to change transportation before noon. We will not accept any phone calls after 12:00 to switch the way your child is going home.
· Today your child will be bringing home a multitude of forms in their folders that require your review and many require your signature. Please take a few minutes to complete all the paperwork and return them to school by Friday, September 5th.
· You can find an electronic copy of the handbook at http://southstreet.fitchburg.k12.ma.us/. If you would like a hardcopy please call the main office.
· The Welcome Back BBQ will be held on Friday, September 5th from 5-7 pm in the back of South Street School.
· Picture Day is Wednesday, September 24th- More information to follow
· The first PTO meeting of the year will be held on Monday, September 8th from 6-7pm in the cafeteria.
· Open House will be held on Thursday, September 18th from 5-7pm.
Please feel free to call the school whenever you have a question at 978-348-2300 or email me at email@example.com. I am excited and looking forward to the upcoming school year!
Jonathan Thompson, M.Ed.
South Street Elementary School